John Ong is a Leadership Development Consultant and Executive Coach with Executive Development Associates in Singapore. He is an organizational change coach that specializes in guiding leaders in transition to achieve successful change. John has 20 years of corporate experience. His role as a Channels Training & Development Manager for Southeast Asia helped ignite his passion to devote his second career to corporate training and coaching exclusively.
From 2002 to 2004 John was appointed as a master trainer and module developer for the Singapore Human Resources Institute’s Ministry of Manpower funded, Work Skills Training Program, a change and career transition program for professionals, Managers, Executives, and Technician (PMETs). Since then, John has enabled organizations to apply the synergy of strategic thinking and behavioral models to achieve desired performance, even in tough times.
Today, John’s areas of expertise and favorite workshops to facilitate include Self Leadership, Personal Resiliency & Motivation, Positive Emotions, and Performance. Fundamentally, these workshops are designed as an effective enabler for executives to tap into their intra-personal strengths to lead and perform under unusual, stressful circumstances such as a transformational organizational change initiative.
John was appointed to lead the Change & Transition Management Program from April 2008 – May 2014. The key component of the module for executives pertains to personal resilience and team leadership during the trying period of change and transition. In the case of non-executives, the module is focused on personal resilience and adaptation to change and career transitions. He has been engaged to contextualize a workshop on Communication & Relationships Management (managerial levels) for at least 200 managers going through change over the last two years. These Change Management workshops have been conducted within the following industries: telecom, aviation, financial, manufacturing and distribution, as well as statutory boards.
Since the beginning of 2014, John has been focused on writing his research on ‘Self Leadership & Leadership for Successful Organizational Change’. The primary focus of this research is on how self-leadership coaching to enhance supervisor-subordinate bi-directional communication could make the difference in achieving the objectives of organizational change.
Publications and media
John is the author of the book, ‘’Worse Than A Job Loss’’ about resiliency in the face of a career and life’s crisis. He has been interviewed over the NewsRadio FM93.8 ‘’Special Series’’, ‘’In The Neighborhood’’, The Living Room’’ on managing emotions during uncertainties.
- Diploma in Counseling Psychology, LEE Community College, Singapore
- BSc. in Psychology from the Edith Cowan University, Australia
- Master of Business Administration, Strategic Management cum Human Resource and Development, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
- Doctor of Business Administration, Self Leadership Coaching for Employees During Organizational Change, Southern Cross University, Australia
- A Thought-Field and Emotions Therapy Practitioner, USA
- A Certified Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) Master Practitioner, a Certified Consultant and Trainer in NLP from the NLP-University, at the University of California, USA; a Member of the Global Training & Consultancy Community for NLP
- A Certified and Accredited administrator for the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI®) suite of instruments, APAC
- A Certified and Accredited administrator for the Persolog Personality Factor Model (DiSC), Germany
- A Certified and Accredited administrator for the Margarison-McCann Team Management Profile, Germany
- A Certified and Accredited Coach for Leading Change, CEGOS Global Learning, UK
- Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA), Singapore Workforce Development Agency