Sanjeev Nanavati is a Leadership Development Consultant and Executive Coach with EDA Asia Pacific based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and is a seasoned leader with over thirty years of extensive international experience. He is currently senior advisor to the Asian banking practice of McKinsey & Company, involved with bank transformations in the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan and China. He is also senior advisor to PWC, coaching and advising partners on transforming their personal performance, and achieved measurable results within a short period of time.
Sanjeev is a thoughtful and insightful leader who writes for the Business Times, Singapore on senior management issues and is the three times elected President of the American Malaysian Chamber of Commerce.
A business builder with line experience who has consistently accelerated revenues and profits, Sanjeev created differentiation in competitive markets and developed high performing teams. He is both strategic and execution oriented, having led complex multi-product businesses and regional multicultural teams. His experience extends to branding, investor relations, crisis management, sales and marketing, and leadership development.
His operating breath is unique. Sanjeev has been tested in the East and West, has deep Asian experience and extensive senior contacts across the region. He has an exceptional track record of building senior relationships in business, government and with regulators. He has lived in Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, and Mumbai and has conducted business across all countries in Asia. He has also lived in Boston and New York and done business in the United States, Europe, and Latin America.
Previously, Sanjeev was the longest serving CEO of Citibank Malaysia, one of their largest worldwide markets. He was responsible for Citi’s corporate and investment banking, transaction banking, treasury/markets, retail banking, wealth management, credit cards and off-shoring businesses which employed over 6,000 people. He successfully steered the bank during the global financial crisis, averting a run on the bank and retained customers and employees while maintaining a strong liquidity position. Post crisis, he increased revenues and market share across all businesses. He joined Citi in New York and worked in Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur over a period of 13 years.
Sanjeev began his career in the United States with Bank of Boston (now Bank of America) where he spent twelve years, including five years in Hong Kong as Asia regional head of capital markets. He subsequently moved to India to join Standard Chartered Bank, where he was the country head of the investment bank and subsequently the corporate and investment bank where he successfully rebuilt the business. He was with Standard Chartered Bank for six years.
He has an MBA in Finance from the Whitman School of Business, Syracuse University in New York and a bachelor’s degree in Accounting from Delhi University in India.
Personal Advice, Coaching and Mentoring
Sanjeev Nanavati brings a unique and unmatched CEO’s perspective to mentoring and advising executives. A seasoned and tested leader brings credibility, authenticity and relevance which no professional trainer can match.
Context is a critical component of successful leadership. Focusing on context inevitably means equipping leaders with a small number of competencies (two to three) that will make a significant difference to performance.
Sanjeev Nanavati has developed effective methods and a unique proprietary framework for individuals and small groups that deliver observable outcomes. He has helped individuals deal effectively in transitioning to larger leadership roles. He has done it for others and can do it for you.
The areas where he can coach senior leaders are on:
- Taking charge as CEO or stepping into a new leadership role
- Dealing with new stakeholders such as Board of Directors and public shareholders
- Developing effective executive presence
- Presenting and communicating with impact
- Critical thinking, decision making and better execution
- Motivating, inspiring and aligning team members
- Managing effectively within a complex matrix with multiple stakeholders
- CEO and executive director on the board of Citibank Berhad which included three independent directors-September 2007 to July 2014
- Chairman of the Board of Citigroup Global Markets Malaysia-September 2009 to July 2014
- President/Chairman of the American Malaysian Chamber of Commerce-June 2011 to Present
Media Coverage and Speaking Engagements
- Numerous press interviews and speaker at public conferences. Published six articles on issues facing CEO’s and boards in the Singapore Business Times op-ed column.
- Invited by CEO’s of PWC, Allianz, The Star, Kuwait Finance House and INTI University to conduct a workshop for their top leadership on “Superior Decision Making and Execution”.
- Invited by the CEO of Sime Darby, the largest listed company in Malaysia, to speak to the senior leadership team on leadership, strategy, execution and building effective teams.
- Invited by Petronas, the national oil company, to speak to their next generation leaders about leading and managing in a globalized world.